In my article “Want To Win? Here’s How To Market To Win!”, I offer four detailed steps to strategize and create your marketing plan each month. Continuing that format, we discussed highlighting Rosacea Awareness Month in the April article. Today, we will continue preparing your marketing strategy for increased revenue and ease of implementation.
June has several national observances that we can incorporate into our marketing to increase brand awareness in our communities, create resources and develop long-term relationships.
Contribution by Richard Merrill
Richard Merrill has contributed many articles to Lipgloss + Aftershave. Richard is a results-driven Spa Business Consultant who specializes in mentoring and guiding spa businesses across the U.S. on branding, marketing, sales, strategic planning, and management systems.
Cause Marketing For Your Skin Care Business
A few notable observances to consider for your marketing strategy in June include:
- LGBTQIA Pride Month
- Men’s Health Month
- National Papaya Month
- Dads & Grads Promotional Month
In the treatment room, we create customized treatment plans for our clients, including professional treatments, home care solutions for maintaining results achieved in the salon and spa, and encouraged lifestyle tips. The easiest way to create a marketing calendar is to catalog the topic and advice we share every day and put them into action using various mediums: Video, Infographics, Carousels, Imagery, and Text (blogs, social posts, or emails).
4 Steps To Create A “Cause Marketing” Campaign For Your Business
This month, we will focus on incorporating fitness and wellness content for improving our business using the 4 step marketing method presented earlier this month.
Step 1: Create a Product of the Month promotion
National Observances are a great way to simplify your promotion creation checklist. National Papaya Month offers a fantastic opportunity to showcase this vibrantly colored fruit that grows on an herb in southern Mexico, Central America, and northern South America.
Papain is a proteolytic enzyme extracted from the raw fruit of the papaya plant. Proteolytic enzymes help break proteins down into smaller protein fragments called peptides and amino acids. This is why papain is a popular ingredient in gentle enzyme exfoliation solutions for spa professionals. As summer nears, heat increases, and our ability to offer chemical exfoliation solutions wanes, June becomes an excellent opportunity to highlight products that contain papain as an exfoliation alternative for our clients.
Need content suggestions to help you take advantage of the papaya’s health benefits:
- Eating papaya to gain the rich vitamin A, C, E, potassium, and antioxidants can support healthy skin through internal consumption. Share your favorite smoothie recipe containing papaya.
- Papaya is loaded with vitamins and nutrients that make it great for topical use on the skin, hair, and body. Showcasing skincare products that contain papaya can support your client’s skin health routine during the summer months when advanced care methods may be contraindicated due to climate, sun exposure, or lifestyle. Products commonly known to contain papaya include face exfoliants, body cleansers, face masks, and peels.
Here are a few Papaya Tips to share:
- Papaya extract is known for its ability to fight signs of aging and create smooth, supple skin. Vitamin A is also necessary for cellular growth and vital for skin and hair health.
- Papaya is home to free-radical-fighting flavonoids that protect against cellular aging. Thanks to this and so many other nutrients, papayas can rejuvenate and hydrate the skin while naturally exfoliating dead skin cells.
- Want your hair to grow faster? Thanks to its rich folic acid content, papaya can help with that, too! It stimulates scalp circulation, which in turn encourages hair growth. Its vitamin A range also boosts sebum production, providing an effective way to hydrate hair without harsh ingredients.
Step 2: Create a Service of the Month promotion
June emphasizes graduations, Men’s Health, and Fathers Day, providing an opportunity to expand your business into new demographics through targeted treatments that address men’s skin health concerns. In addition, create a service promotion targeting men to bring a new stream of revenue into your business.
Need some guidance creating summer services for catering to the needs of men? Check out these four professional protocols featuring enzymes, making them a perfect solution for all first-time guests:
- Tuel Skincare 60 Minute Combination Skin Facial
- Circadia Cocoa Enzyme Facial
- Hale & Hush Incredible Enzyme Facial Protocol
- SkinScript Smoked Bourbon Enzyme
Step 3: Create an Event of the Month promotion
Events are an opportunity to bring your community together and introduce your brand to new faces. But did you know that event marketing does not mean you have to plan, host, and clean up the whole shindig? Instead, utilizing community event calendars like Eventbrite, look for events that have vendor opportunities for you to get out, meet new people and share your brand’s message.
Want to show up in more than one place? Consider sponsoring events that do not provide vendor opportunities to keep your business front of mind when someone thinks skin professionals. Make sure you plan to have a piece of marketing in front of them to remind them you are the number one choice.
Are you a natural event planner? Use this month to partner with fitness experts and men’s health experts to create an educational event that provides value and resources. Then, take the event online and reach more people.
June Event Ideas:
- Local LGBTQIA Pride Events – Get a booth, sponsor, or simply attend wearing branded logo wear.
- Men’s Health Clinic Facial Drive – Feature a local expert and offer a cross-promotion that drives men’s health education and an opportunity to showcase how your services help meet their wellness goals.
- Partner with Local Gyms, Yoga Studios, and Wellness Centers to create a consumer appreciation event.
Step 4: Create a Cause of the Month promotion
June is LGBTQIA Pride Month which offers quite a few different cause marketing topics to help you build awareness of this communities needs, increase advocacy and volunteering, and of course, fundraising to create change in the world.
A few organizations that I recommend supporting include:
- Your Local LGBTQIA Center
- The Dress Code Project
- The Trevor Project
- Human Rights Campaign
- Lambda Legal
Remember that whatever you choose to market in your business, you speak to a particular audience. Therefore, make sure you are authentically supportive of the mission and vision of each aspect of your offerings. Let your marketing share an intimate part of your story practically but professionally. Use this opportunity to build your tribe and let your community know you are a safe space to be themselves!