Acne scar revision is actually not an acne treatment at all.
Estheticians have to think of acne scar revision as more of an advanced age management treatment. Acne scar revision focuses heavily on redefining the tone and texture of the skin along with improving the skin’s structure. Just like many age management treatments.
Estheticians have to use any means necessary to impact the surface of the skin to smooth out the texture after serious acne scars. This is a sort of “grinding down of the skin”. They also need to work from the inside out to stimulate collagen production in order to sort of “push the skin back up”.
4 Types of Acne Scars
There are several types of acne scars that will present in your clients. It’s good to be aware of these types of scars. Depending on the type and severity – you can choose a treatment plan that will work to help resurface the skin and stimulate collagen to smooth texture and rebuild the collagen.
Ice Pick Scars
Atrophic (loss of collagen), Narrow, deep, and have sharp margins (<2mm)
Box Car Scars
Atrophic (loss of collagen), Round or oval, shallow, sharp vertical edges (<>3mm)
Atrophic (loss of collagen), Wider, shallow scars (typically 4-5mm)
Hypertrophic (overproduction of collagen) Raised, red/pink, and firn (Vary in size)
5 Treatments For Acne Scar Revision
One of the most common treatments for any type of skin resurfacing is a chemical exfoliator. These can be chemical peels or enzymes can resurface and can work on the skin to stimulate collagen production. These can be done as a stand-alone treatment or done in conjunction with other resurfacing / collagen-stimulating treatments. They destroy the outermost layers of the skin and accelerate repair and new cell growth.
BiON Skincare offers 3 Chemical Exfoliators
1. BiON offers the Lactic Acid Exfoliator – 35%. Lactic Acid is a natural component of human cells which makes it safer to use and is ideal for clients new to peels.
2. They also offer the Glycolic Acid Exfoliator – 30% BiON has combined 30% glycolic acid with enzymes and plant extracts to produce a superior product that causes controlled skin exfoliation to stimulate cell turnover. The addition of Bilberry encourages a more rapid cell turnover and the Birch Extract is an antioxidant skin toner that is soothing to the skin
3. The Pumpkin Enzyme is an enzyme exfoliation mask made from natural pumpkin puree, enzyme ferment, and seed extract containing antioxidants and moisturizers. Pumpkin Enzyme Mask helps increase cell turnover, promotes skin healing, helps restore the skin’s elasticity, and reduces fine lines and wrinkles.
The Pumpkin Enzyme is a great beginning to any skin care treatment to help reduce the amount of dead skin cells on the surface.
One of the most effective treatments to help stimulate collagen production for acne scar revision. Microneedling will help to build the skin after deep scarring. This treatment is best when combined with a collagen-stimulating product.
BiON Offers 2 Collagen Stimulating Serums
1. BiON Skincare offers the Collagen Revival Serum, this can be used during the microneedling treatment and for home care. It infuses Vitamins A, C and E into the skin to stimulate collagen synthesis.
2. BiON Skincare also has the Vitamin A + Antioxidant Complex this product is for daily home care and contains Retinyl palmitate (Vitamin A) supports the production of collagen and prevents its breakdown.
One of the staple forms of manual exfoliation in the skincare industry! This is a superficial resurfacing technique that mechanically ablates (removes) damaged surfaces. The mini micro-massage that happens during microdermabrasion can also work to stimulate collagen. This treatment can be enhanced by adding one of the BiON professional chemical exfoliators previously mentioned.
BiON Offers 2 Acid Based Serums
You can also incorporate the Mandelic 8% Serum or 15% Serum after performing the microdermabrasion to boost exfoliation and cell renewal – this will tingle for a few minutes but then will calm down within a minute or two. These are also ideal for home care to provide an ongoing cellular turnover.
This is a hugely popular gentle exfoliation that can help to prep the skin for Chemical Exfoliation. It’s a great option for less severe acne scar revision. Dermaplaning removes the outermost layer of dead skin cells and helps to resurface uneven skin.
Again, you can Use the Mandelic 8% Serum or 15% Serum after performing the microdermabrasion to boost exfoliation and cell renewal.
This modality is not used as much by estheticians because it can fall outside of their scope of practice. These ablative lasers (melt, vaporize or evaporate) remove the damaged tissue and tighten collagen fibers within the skin. Nonablative lasers (long-pulse infrared) stimulate collagen and tighten the skin and have less risk of side effects.
BiON Skincare suggests that you send clients home with Collagen Revival Serum to boost collagen production between treatments
Acne Scar Revision Treatment Plans
It’s always best to focus on a single modality at a time before combining any layered exfoliation. BiON Skincare suggests always doing microdermabrasion alone before layering in other chemical exfoliation to ensure the client is able to handle the treatment. You can also use the BiON Glycolic Cleanser or BiON Fruit Enzyme Scrub in treatments to boost exfoliation and prepare the skin for the treatments.
You’ll want to make sure that clients understand that acne scar revision is not a once-and-done treatment – it takes a series of treatments in order to see results. Clients also need to be educated that home care compliance is critical in achieving smooth texture for the best acne scar revision results.
Thanks to BiON for sponsoring this content.